Replace Skirting on A Mobile Home
If you have determined it’s time to replace skirting on your mobile home then it’s time to explore your options. So, what do you use for mobile home skirting? There are many materials you can choose for skirting you home. For this article we chose DURASKIRT™ brand mobile home skirting for obvious reasons.
- To replace skirting on a mobile home begin by planning materials, sketching drawings and adding dimensions so you can make a material list.
- Order new skirting materials, preferably DURASKIRT™, making sure you have a place cleared for their arrival. (Getting prepared for DURASKIRT™).
- Assuming this project is replacing old materials, you can start off by taking down existing skirting.
Removal, Inspection & Restoring for Preparing to Replace Skirting on A Mobile Home
- After removing aged skirting, you need to inspect the homes’ rim-joist for rot replacing the rotten or termite eaten members if necessary.
- Next begin to inspect the under-crawlspace blocking, tie-downs, belly wrap, piping, and vapor barrier for water or rodent damage. Moreover, this step is very important to replace skirting on a mobile home.
- Also, looking underneath the vapor barrier begin inspecting the soils for settling filling and compacting low areas. Obviously installing a new skirting is easier on level earth.
Replace Skirting on A Mobile Home – Installing “ON Gravel or Dirt”
- Start with leveling the grade around the home with a shovel making sure to the soils are firm. If uncertain about soils ability to support skirting I recommend using a compactor.
- Now that the soils are level where you’re going to be installing new skirting it’s time to proceed.
- Begin by placing panels at corners of the home using the larger brackets and venting for the long sides and the short brackets on the ends.
- It’s important to keep panels plumb as you go and adding the venting before proceeding to the next skirting panel.
- When all panels are set it’s time to for caulking and concealing the joints.
- It’s best to caulk from the bottom of the panels upward scraping the excess with a used caulking tube. After scraping use the joint concealing powder over the fresh caulking.
Alternatively, Installing New Skirting “On Top of Concrete”
- The only difference installing DURASKIRT™ panels on concrete is that you will need to cut them to height first.
- When you replace skirting on a mobile home start measuring the panels making sure to leave a 1” gap between the top of the panel and the rim-joist.
Building in A Crawl Access Panel or Well
- I already covered this subject well on the following page: https://duraskirt.com/blog-cement-board-well/
We hope this was helpful and informative. Please call DURASKIRT or email us if you need further guidance 360-419-9909 or email email@example.com.